From the Galley - CUTTERS CARROT CAKE
This is a really great recipe for Carrot cake. We made this in North Westerly 4 to 5 while heading towards Falmouth from Plymouth.
225g Self raising Flour
170g soft dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Large Eggs - Beaten lightly
70ml Light Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
115g Grated Carrot
60g Chopped Walnuts
230g Tin Crushed Pineapple
100g Cream Cheese
125g Mascarpone Cheese
75g Icing Sugar Sifted
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
lemon zest (to give it an extra zing)
Set Oven at 160C
1. Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, bicarbonate soda and cinnamon.
2. Make a well in the centre and add the lightly beaten eggs, oil, and vanilla, mix well.
3. Stir in the carrot, walnuts and crushed pineapple and combine the mixture well.
4. Line the Bottom of the cake tin and dust with flour.
5. Bake 45 minutes.
6. When cooked leave to cool in tin for 15 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack. Remove the paper and cool completely.
To Make Frosting:
1. Cream the cheeses together until soft and fluffy.
2. Add icing sugar, a little at a time, then add vanilla and lemon juice.
3. Spread cake with the frosting and chill.
If yo can manage to stop the crew from eating this cake when it comes out of the oven you will get to put the icing on. Great cake, you can always cut the ingredients in half to make a small cake to keep your waistline trim!