Fancy a dip this Christmas?
If you fancy a dip in the sea at Christmas, you are either brave/daft or raising money for charity – after all who would want to leave the comfort of their over warm homes to jump into icy waters if it wasn’t for charity!?
Dig out your wetsuits (drysuits ?!) festive fancy dress and see some of the events that Boatshed have seen advertised.
If you know of any more swims, please let me know and I’ll add them to the list: email@example.com
- Macmillian White Christmas Dip – in it’s eight year with over 800 particpants last year Boscombe Pier in Bournemouth turns into a spectacle of fancy dress clad swimmers hopping gingerly into the water to raise money for the Macmillan Unit at Christchurch hospital. For more details and to register.
- In Lowestoft, Suffolk then your local Christmas Day Swim is calling for all Local Heroes. Registration can be done from 9am at the Hotel Hatfield or online.
- Join with the Weymouth & Portland Lions for a Harbour Swim for a charity of your choice. Registation starts at 9.45am and this swim is suitable for children as well as adults. Click here for more info.
- At 11am on Christmas morning, over 500 swimmers jump into the water at Crooklets Beach Bude, Cornwall For more information, click here.
- If you are in East Devon you could join in on the Exmouth Christmas Day swim. The annual event attracts thousands of people brave enough to take the plunge and go for a swim in the waters just off Exmouth beach. Click here to find out more.
- Porthcawl in Wales is celebrating it’s 51st year and you can join over 1000 other swimmers as they take the plunge. See their website for information.
- If you are near Hunstanton in Norfolk you can have your costume judged before you hit the chilly waters. All money raised goes to Huntstanton Round table for local charities and causes. Click here to find out more.
- The Boxing Day Dip at Whitby takes places at 10am and you must pre-register to take part. Swimmers meet at 10am by the bandstand and slipway on Pier Road. The event is organized by Whitby Lions and those who take part have the opportunity to raise money solely for the Lions Organisation or to Raise 80% for their own charity of choice with the remaining 20% going to The Lions. All details can be found here.
- In Tenby the Boxing Day swim is in it’s 44th year and sees swimmers raising money for either their own charity choices or one of the organisers. There are usually around 600 swimmers and thousand's of onlookers and everyone receives a medal for their bravery! Canoes and rafts have been seen in recent years. To find our more and pre-register click here.
- If you are in North Nofolk then why not meet up at Cromer Pier in your trainers, they’llbe a run along the beach to Overstrand and back over the clifftops and thendown to enjoy a dip at 11am. This year’s charity is Mesothelioma UK. For more info click here.
- The Rotary Club of Redcar are asking you to register sooner than later for their annual boxing day dip and you can do so here.
- If you are in Gibraltar then you have the choice of two Polar Bear Swims;
- The first is organised by GASA in aid of Royal Marsden Cancer Charity and takes place from Eastern Beach at 12pm.
- For further information please contact:firstname.lastname@example.org
- The second is organised by Catalan Bay residents and you swim in Catalan Bay. Certificates, mince piesand hot toddies provided by Caleta Hotel, for further info contact Tel: +350 20076501 or email: email@example.com
New Years Day
- For those of you in the Gosport and Fareham area, come and join the GAFIRS New Year's Day Swim at 12 noon. There are usually thousands of supporters and with each year the number of swimmers increase. Many swimmers use this opportunity to raise money for charities close to their hearts and GAFIRS welcomes everyone to raise money for their own charities. Again you must register which you can do online, or at 11am on the morning.
- If you are in South Queensferry near Edinburgh you may be interested in joining in The Stoats Loony Dook or the Firth of Forth swim. You don’t have to be a loony, mad or brave….but it helps. This annual dip in the freezing River Forth in the shadow of the Forth bridges has been taking place for 30 years. Click here to register and find out more info.
- The Saundersfoot New Year's Day swim started out with 17 people, saw 1521 swimmers and over 8000 spectators last year. Raising over £40,500 for charity. For more information click here.