From the Galley - CAULIFLOWER CHEESE
With the weather getting a little colder across Europe, a lovely warming dish to enjoy for a snack or a side on a cold day is Cauliflower cheese - a hit with all ages. The key to a great dish is fresh cauliflower, decent cheese and smoked bacon lardons (optional). My twist is adding a touch of cayenne pepper in to give it a little spice.
1/2 pint of milk
100 grams of cheddar cheese for topping grated
150 grams of Wenslydaye for the sauce
1 medium sized cauliflower
handful of crispy cooked smoked bacon lardons (optional) 2 tablespoons of brown flour
1 tablespoon of Olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of English Mustard
1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
1. Cook the cauliflower until just done
2. Fry the lardons till crisp, then drain.
3. Make a roux sauce from flour and olive oil by frying together, then adding the milk a little at a time stiring well to remove any lumps, turn to low heat and add the Wensleydale cheese, mustard, cayenne pepper & black pepper, mix until smooth.
4. Place lardons into the cheese sauce and mix.
5. Place cooked cauliflower into a cooking dish, cover with the cheese sauce and top with grated cheddar.
6. Cook until golden brown on top and eat.
Great dish to eat whilst sailing