From the Galley - PIZZA
Cooking on board is always interesting on our Westerly Konsort, the galley area is not vast, but this is the season that I am going to see just what I can come up with to feed a hungry crew.
I'm starting simple with a home made pizza, everybody loves a pizza and if you have some left over, it is perfect for wrapping up and eating cold en route later.
Ingredients pizza base
2 cups plain flour
1 x 8g sachet of dry yeast
1 tablespoon of caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
Ingredients pizza topping
¾ cup of pizza sauce or a tube of tomato puree
2 cups of mozzarella shredded or torn
3 cups of toppings of your choice (mushroom/pineapple/onions/peppers etc)
2 cups of cheddar or parmesan
Some dried Italian herbs oregano and basil if you have on board
Method for Base
1. Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl and add oil and water
2. Mix to a soft dough
3. Knead on a floured surface unit soft and pliable
4. Return to the mixing bowl and cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm spot for 3 minutes. The dough should double in size.
5. When it has risen, punch the dough once to remove any air bubbles
6. Remove from bowl and knead gently for 1 minute
7. On a floured surface roll the dough out to a desired size.
You may be able to make 1 or two bases out of this depending on your pan and the thickness of the base.
Place it onto your lightly greased baking tray and spread the pizza sauce on top, evenly sprinkle the mozzerella and other cheese and spread your chopped remaining vegetables randomly on top.
Place in oven and cook on gas mark 8, or if your galley oven doesn't get that hot (like mine) then just put the oven to it's maximum heat and hope for the best..
tear some basil and sprinkle on top, to garnish, serve with a colourful salad and voila! a gorgeous meal to impress your hungry crew.
If you have a favourite recipe that you would like to share with us, then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org